Jogendra Nath Mandal resignation letter was like a thunderstorm and heart-wrenching for every Indian .The way he had explained the exploitation and killing of Dalit Hindus in his resignation letter was a shocking revelation . The kind of treatments Hindus were getting in Pakistan compelled him to resign from his post as a law minister and came back to India for rest of his life .
who was Jogendra Nath Mandal
Jogendra Nath Mandal was a great dalit leader who was born in Bengal but unfortunately was the one who is also called as one of the founding fathers of Pakistan . His resignation letter from the post of Pakistan law minister is one the most shocking revelation ever happened .
Jogendra nath Mandal was of the belief that scheduled caste Hindus and Muslims can live together happily and can make a good society but his illusion of making good society with Muslims sooner became a nightmare for him after three years of living in Pakistan.
Hindus of scheduled caste and Muslims living in India were Educationally and financially backward . He had no affection for joining Indian National Congress (INC) , So the only option left to him was to join the Muslim League whom he Considered a better option for schedule caste Hindus .
Jogendra Nath Mandal history
Without support of J.N. Mandal , Muslim League would never had been succeeded in making Pakistan . Muslim League had realized it very soon and that was the reason they approached him and asked to join Muslim League in February 1943 .
After which he started to work with them in the Bengal Legislative Assembly With some conditions . like : Three Scheduled caste ministers in cabinet , granting money for the education of scheduled caste people and some Other things too. At that time , Khwaja nazimuddin was the head of the Muslim League .
Jinnah was the leading muslim leader. After giving support to the Muslim League , Jinnah became one of his close friend because Jinnah had given him the assurance of fulfilling his promises after partitions .
When “cabinet mission plan” rejected the idea of partition on the basis of religion , then Muslim League started to show their anger , Jinnah called out for the “ The direct action day “ Which is also known as “ the great calcutta killing “ happened in 16th August 1946 , Which finally resulted in killing of lakhs of Hindus
The Killing of Hindus was so Spooky or fearsome that no one can imagine it . Hindu Bodies were torned apart , many Hindus were thrown into fire to burn alive , Hindu women were raped and killed brutally and so on . The List is like a never ending process.
After seeing it , he was filled with tears but still he was of the belief that his caste people will get more freedom and love from believer of Allah even after losing many of his own close scheduled caste people in that Holocaust .
The voice of J.N. Mandal for making Pakistan was too loud and clear, So he continued his support to Muslim League and also succeeded in convincing schedule caste people that they will be more happy with people who follow the path of Allah in Pakistan .
Muslim League knew it very well that his support can become one of the backbone for them in creating Pakistan so they don’t want to lose him and used him as a puppet So that they get what they want . With the desire to not lose J.N. Mandal ,Mr. Suhrawardy offered him a seat in the interim Government of India in oct 1946 .
Jogendra Nath Mandal and Dr B.R. Ambedkar
Dr BR Ambedkar had tried his best to convince him to not support the Muslim League and dropped the idea of creating Pakistan because Ambedkar had felt very earlier that Hindus have no scope in Pakistan and will be killed very soon.
Though , Ambedkar had gone through many unfavourable situation for being dalit but he still felt that Schedule Caste people or dalits have much more bright future in India than Pakistan . He Knew it very well that Islamic extremists are not going to accept them at any cost and Can never live happily with Hindus.
But J.N. Mandal Did not accept this truth and continued his support to Muslim League .
Partition of India
Finally , Pakistan was created on 15th August 1947 and Jogendra Nath Mandal became the first law minister in Pakistan and he was of the feeling that Soon , all his promises will be fulfilled .
But He went into shock when Khwaja Nizamuddin Started to avoid his own promises on taking 2 scheduled castes in the East Bengal cabinet . Soon he started to realise that the league had started to disrupt the scheduled caste Federation in East Bengal . Sooner , he got a sense that that Thought of living peacefully with Muslims was just his illusion and nothing more .
But still he didn’t give up And had continued his fight for scheduled caste Hindus rights But he didn’t get Success in Uplifting the Schedule Caste . The situation of scheduled caste Hindus became more and more dreadful .
Reason of Jogendra Nath Mandal resignation letter
- The first incident which shook him completely after becoming law minister in Pakistan was when a false case registered on Namahsudras by a Muslim of attrocities in Digharkul , near Gopalganj . Without any enquiry , police went to Namahsudras and started to beat them .
- The local people also joined the hand and started to beat the whole family and made their lives hell and also snatched everything they had .
- After this , police started to oppress Hindus in every possible way and also took their houses and gave it to local muslims .
- He had described the atrocities on people who follow different Gods in his Resignation letter . He also described about the hindu women who were passed on by muslims to military so that they can fullfill their physical desires and also had been raped multiple times . There were no limits to atrocities on Hindus .
- After seeing many atrocities on Hindus , he was made to believe that there is no end to it and his support for creating Pakistan was his utter nonsense idea . The people of Pakistan were of the belief that Pakistan belongs to Muslims and this is Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
You may also like to read about daring Lachit Borphukan who saved North east from Invaders : 👇
- The situation for Hindus in Pakistan was nothing less than a nightmare for him . He was not able to tolerate this many atrocities on non believer of Allah . He did his best to stop these atrocities but there was no one to listen to him.
- Finally , he decided to return back to India and live the rest of his life in his native place . So on 8 October 1950 , he gave his resignation letter to the Prime Minister of Pakistan , Liyakat Ali And moved to India .
Jogendra Nath Mandal last days
After returning back to India , he started to live in the state of west Bengal . The area in which he spent his last days was incapable of even fulfilling the basic necessity which were required to live a life but still he found peace and no atrocities here .
He didn’t get that much support and love from Indian people because he was the one who had supported the idea of Pakistan .People used to see him with an angry eye . But still he felt so relaxed in India . Finally ,he died on 1968 .
Related Post which can provide you knowledge about Indian history :
1.Rudramadevi : First warrior queen represented as a remarkable King
2.Chola dynasty -One of the strongest dynasty of India
3.Raja Ram Mohan Roy : Social reformer and the father of Indian renaissance
4.Ahilyabai Holkar : A great fighter queen who ruled Malwa